Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hot Runs

This weekend went by entirely too quickly.  I am pleased to report that significant progress was made with both wedding planning and redecorating the master bedroom, and I am feeling quite accomplished. 

JT and I managed to fit in a couple runs in spite of all the other activities.  Friday after work, we headed straight out for another round of intervals, this time of the ladder variety.  After a nice warm-up and drills, we would walk a distance around the track and then run that same distance, increasing the distances as we went. 

I think the ladder intervals were much harder than the straight 200m intervals.  I kept checking back into my internal energy stores only to find that the same effort for the last round was not nearly sufficient to complete the next round with the same pace.  JT kept a consistent pace over the increasing distances; I, very much, was not consistent.

½ mile warm-up jog at 11:00 minute pace – drills (3 sets) – ladder Intervals: 100m, 200m, 200m, 300m, 400m
Drills: 15 push-ups (from knees), 40 bicycle crunches, 10 (each side) side-plank lifts

Rest (lots of errands in town)

I am constantly asking JT what my next workout will be, and he never answers until the last minute.  On the one hand this is very annoying because I like to plan things out.  On the other hand this is a very good thing because it does not give me a chance to dwell on it and psych myself out. 

Sunday morning we dressed and headed out late in the morning.  I was very surprised when JT informed me that I would be doing a full 2-mile run – and in only 21 minutes.  This was both an increase in distance and an increase in speed from what I have done thus far, and no, I don’t count my pace during intervals. 

I set out thinking about my last long run (1.5 miles) and how hard, but satisfying it had been to finish.  I started out comfortably fast and finished the first half mile in just at 5 minutes. 

Unfortunately, not long after that, disaster struck.  My calves seized up in pain, and I had to walk to loosen them back up.  I didn’t even make one mile.  Once my calves were feeling a bit better, I started jogging again at a slower pace.  But the damage had been done.  There was no way I could finish in 21 minutes.

I came in at just under 23 minutes for 2 miles.  While this is not what I was supposed to do and it was not run continuously, I am still pretty pleased with the results because I managed to complete the run home as opposed to walking up to the house.  Ending on a high note makes everything feel better.

Monday we set out for the same route as the day before but this time in blistering heat and 100% humidity.  JT warned me to take it easy due to the heat, and he could not have been more right.  I made it back in just under 25 minutes looking like I had just climbed out of a sauna.  I felt like a sweaty, empowered athlete in a Nike ad (though admittedly less glamorous or toned).

Run 2 miles at 10:30 pace – no drills

Run 2 miles at 10:30 pace – no drills

The heat isn’t expected to break for the rest of the week, so I expect a similar performance today for whatever run we end up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment