Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Upping the Ante

We are officially into Week 2, and despite JT hinting last week at adding some interval training, yesterday’s run was an ambitious increase in mileage – 50%! 

W2:D1
Run 1.5 miles at 11:00 minute pace – walk 1/2 mile – no drills

While the last leg of it was a considerable struggle for me, I was able to complete the whole 1.5 miles non-stop in 16:45 (10:43 at the 1-mile mark).  I am very pleased with myself for not pooping out and stopping when it started to get particularly uncomfortable, as I have been known to do on several occasions. 

However, the idea of trying to explain to JT when I got home that I had given up seemed much worse than actually finishing the prescribed run.  If he thinks I can do it, then I will do the run.

JT uses a different run-tracking app than I do that doesn’t alert him to half mile distances; so, he accidentally ran 2 miles as opposed to the 1.5 miles that he had planned.  As yet, I can’t imagine accidentally running 33% farther than I had planned.  I am very aware of every lumbering step I take and every huffy, labored breath. 

Then again, ‘out of shape’ means something very different for JT than it does for me.  He finished his 2 miles in a little over 15 minutes, more than a minute and a half faster than I finished my 1.5 miles.  His ‘out of shape’ is my fitness dream.  It’s all relative.  Maybe someday I’ll be able to keep up with him, but I’m not worried about that right now. 

I have to keep in mind my goal – a sub-30 minute 5K.  If I let myself start worrying about more than that, then I will just drive myself crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment