Thursday, July 2, 2015

JT's Workout Plan

Hello and welcome to JT’s Workout Plan! The purpose of this blog is to track my workouts and progress as my wonderful fiancé, JT, attempts to train me to run a sub-30-minute 5K. 

The reasons for this are two-fold.

First, I am very lazy and do not like working out.  Due to this fact, my fitness has decreased substantially over the last several months such that a large number of my pants no longer fit.  Aside from being very uncomfortable, this is also very embarrassing.  By doing regular workouts, we are both hoping to feel a little more comfortable in our own skin.

Second, I have had the goal of running a 5K in less than 30 minutes for several years.  Despite a few decent attempts over the years, I have never really come that close to actually succeeding at this goal. JT is an aspiring track coach and former all-state athlete.  So, I might actually stand a chance at succeeding if I can follow his plan.  

As for the blog, I enjoy writing and feel like there is a better chance of success if there is a little social pressure hanging over me. My plan is to post updates a couple days a week with the daily workouts that JT and I are doing as well as how my weak, squishy body is reacting to it.  Here goes nothing.

Week 1: Day 1
Run 1 mile at 11:00 minute pace – rest 5 minutes – walk 1/2 mile – drills (3 sets) – walk 1/2 mile
Drills: 10 meters of walking lunges, 10 squats, 20 crunches, 5 push-ups (from knees for me)

W1:D2
Run 1 mile at 11:00 minute pace – rest 5 minutes – walk 1/2 mile – drills (3 sets) – walk 1/2 mile
Drills: 10 meters of butt kicks, 10m of high kicks, 20 side/oblique crunches (each side), 10 push-ups (from knees for me)

W1:D3
Run 1 mile at 11:00 minute pace – rest 5 minutes – walk 1/2 mile – drills (3 sets) – walk 1/2 mile
Drills: 20m of karaoke/grapevine, 20m of high knees, 10 burpees

Thus far, I’m feeling pretty good, if not a little sore.  I was hurting pretty bad after the first two days, and subsequently threw a small tantrum at the last set of burpees yesterday to the amusement of the teenage boys playing basketball near us. Despite the soreness and the trantrum, I have been managing to achieve the short side of my prescribed 11:00 minute pace. I’m hopeful that this success will continue through the weekend.  JT has promised that the workout schedule will change up next week, so I’m looking forward to that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment